Thorngate Churcher Trust (known and registered as Thorngate Almshouse Trust until March 2017) was brought together in its present form in 1981 when a number of separate charities established by the Thorngate family in the 1860s were amalgamated. As early as 1794 a William Thorngate is listed as trading as a grocer in Middle Street (the old name of Gosport High Street).
William Thorngate’s sons, John Batty and his younger brother William, were local landowners. William also owned land jointly with Emanuel Churcher, a local solicitor who founded the “Churchers” legal practice in Gosport High Street. These three gentlemen conveyed land to the Trustees of the Thorngate Charities in 1866 and 1867 to enable almshouses to be built to accommodate “poor women of good character, being spinsters or widows, of not less than 50 years of age”.
A major redevelopment of the Trust’s properties was carried out between 1971 and 1984 and the accommodation offered today consists of modern well-equipped one bedroom flats. Our flats are available to people of limited means who are over 50.